The South Congregational Church, UCC, welcomes members, friends, and visitors from towns throughout the Dartmouth-Lake Sunapee Region. The church is located at the corner of South Main and Church Street in Newport, New Hampshire.
Organized in 1779, the Congregational Society dates back to Newport's first settlers, who traveled from Killingworth, CT, in June, 1766. They observed the first Sabbath under a large pine tree soon after completing their journey. Since then, services have been held in the Proprietors' House (1772), the town's Meetinghouse (1793), and the South Church (1823) still in use today. Its architectural history is available on our meetinghouse preservation site.
All are welcome to join in the life of South Church.